About The Orpheus Project
The Orpheus Project was created in 2012 to bring together expert musicians to try to recreate music of ancient Greece and Rome. We wanted compose beautiful and yet believable soundscapes that the ancient civilisations could have listened to.
In May 2012 our team of musicians recorded the album ‘S.P.Q.R’ composed by Maryann and Michael Tedstone at the Air-Edel studio in London.
The team comprised of:
- Maryann Tedstone on Woodwind
- Michael Tedstone as Producer
- Glenn Sharp on Lute
- Davey Ray Moor on Rhythm Lute and Lead Vocals
- Michael Levy on Lyre
- Doug Jenkinson on Percussion
- Martin Luke Brown on Backing Vocals
- Sumita Majumdar on Backing Vocals
- Stuart Revnell on Lead Vocals and Backing Vocals
- Tabatha Pegg on Lead Vocals
The album is published by Felt Music and distributed online by Horus Music. S.P.Q.R presents an idea of what ancient Greek and Roman music could have sounded like. We were accompanied on the day by an Orion Television film crew who hope to make a series revolving around our technique of bringing ancient music back to life and we are currently involved in finishing the pilot.
The recording was engineered by Nick Taylor who worked on ‘Thor’ and other major film projects. Thanks also to HobGoblin who provided us with instruments and percussion for the recording of the album.
Maryann and Michael